Prohibited and Restricted
From time to time we get customers who try to use Private Box to ship items overseas, only to find that the items are Prohibited or Restricted. This either stops them from getting their item, or makes forwarding the item more expensive than they expected.
Here are some common examples:
|Mobile Phones||Restricted Item. International Shipping must be via International Expresss Courier (DHL).|
|Electronics with Lithium Ion batteries||Restricted Item. International Shipping must be via International Expresss Courier (DHL).|
|Honey||Prohibited item. Requires special export license.|
|Cheese & Dairy Products||Prohibited item. Requires special export license.|
|Perfume||Prohibited item. Flammable.|
Prohibited Items vs Restricted Items
- Cannot be sent via the postal service under any circumstances.
- If sent these items will be seized by customs and may be destroyed.
- Can be sent via the postal service, but must comply to very strict guidelines.
Prohibited and Restricted items lists
A comprehensive list of Prohibited and Restricted items can be found directly on the NZ Post Website.
Other Sources of information:
- List of commonly prohibited items (listed below)
- Items with IATA Dangerous Goods classification (listed below)
- IATA Dangerous Goods Web site
- Private Box support article: Prohibited and Restricted items
- New Zealand Customs Web site – for New Zealand Government restrictions
- NZ Post International Delivery Updates – for mail network disruptions & sanctions information
Items with an IATA Dangerous Goods classification
Explosive materials (eg ammunition, fireworks, igniters, flares, toy caps).
Toxic and infectious substances.
Gases (compressed fuel or air cylinders).
Flammable Substances (anything with a fire warning, eg petrol, turpentine, spirits etc.).
Corrosives (eg mercury, bleach, nail polish, nitric acids, battery fluids).
Oxidising substances (eg hair dye, disinfectants, fiberglass repair kits).
Other hazardous goods (eg magnetic, polymerizable, asbestos, dry ice, fist aid kits, batteries).